Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
Westonbirt is a remarkable place for people to enjoy and learn about trees. Borne of a Victorian passion for plant collecting, around 15,000 trees from all over the globe now offer the perfect setting to escape, relax or have an adventure...
Westonbirt's combination of maturity, species diversity and landscape style make it one of the most extraordinary arboretums in the world.
Created by Victorian entrepreneur Robert Holford, its 240 hectares (600 acres) were planted during an exciting period of plant hunting, when trees and shrubs from all over the globe were introduced to Britain.
Unlike other arboretums, the landscape here was laid out aesthetically rather than in a botanical order, meaning Westonbirt is truly one of the most beautiful tree gardens to be found anywhere in the world.
Pop into the Welcome Building at the start of your visit - you'll find lots of interesting information to help you make the most of your visit as well as stories about Westonbirt's trees and how they are cared for.
Pick up a seasonal trail leaflet, which will guide you around some of the best beauties of our tree collection - hand-picked by us!
For families, taking a trip into the trees with our play trail is a great way to fire children's imaginations, and in such beautiful surroundings, it's an enjoyable adventure for the whole family.
OPENING AND CLOSING TIMES
EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR EXCEPT CHRISTMAS DAY:
9 am - 5 pm
Last admission 4.45 pm
RESTAURANT OPENING TIMES:
December, January and Februray: 9.30 am - 4 pm
March to November: 9.30 am - 5 pm
SHOP OPENING TIMES:
All year: 9 am - 5 pm
- March to August: Adult £9, Student £6, Child £3, Under 5 Free
- September to November: Adult £9, Student £6, Child £4, Under 5 Free
- December to February: Adult £6, Student £4, Child £2, Under 5 Free
ADMISSION PRICES FOR SPECIAL EVENTS
- Treefest, 29 - 31 August 2015: Adult £15, Student £12, Child Free
- Enchanted Christmas, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, 28 November - 20 December 2015: Adult £10, Student £8, Child £5
- Student rate applies to: students, cyclists, public transport users and unemployed
- Disabled adults are charged the adult rate, this includes free entry for one carer per disabled adult
- Child rate applies to 18 years and under
- Disabled children aged 18 years and under will be charged the child admission rate; carers are free
GROUPS OF TEN OR MORE (PRE-PAY ONLY):
- March to November: Adult £7, Child £2
- December to February: Adult £5, Child £1
- Treefest, 29 - 31 August 2015: Adult £12, Child Free
- Enchanted Christmas, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, 28 November - 20 December 2015: Adult £8, Child £4
From M4 (approx 15 mins)
Exit motorway at Junction 18.
Take the A46 north towards Stroud.
After a few miles turn right onto the A433 (signed Cirencester).
Continue on this road for approx 3 miles and the arboretum is on your left.
From M5 (approx 20mins)
Exit at Junction 13 onto the A419 (towards Stroud).
Take the A46 (towards Bath).
After going though Nailsworth, come to traffic lights at crossroads.
Turn left onto A4135 to Tetbury.
In Tetbury, turn right onto the A433.
Continue on this road, passing through Doughton, for approx 3 miles. The arboretum is on your right.
Forestry Commission, Tetbury, Gloucestershire, GL8 8QS
Tel (Mon-Fri): 01666 880220
Westonbirt Shop tel: 01666 331451
Westonbirt Restaurant tel: 01666 880064